Ceres High school

June 1939 Picture of the Buildings
Thanks to Joel King, son of the late Harry P. King, for donating this picture. It was printed in the Roanoke Times on June 14, 1939. A classroom was later added to the front of the agriculture building.  In the foreground is the dirt basketball court that was used until the gym was built in the early 1950's.  

Ceres High School, probably taken in the 1940's or 1950's. The current brick Ceres school building was first used in 1932. Before that, the school was in a two story white building at the corner of what is now W. Blue Grass Trail and Ceres School Road. Both buildings contained grades 1 through high school. In 1962 the high school was moved to Bland, leaving only the elementary school at Ceres. In 1992 the elementary school was moved to Bland.

The former Ceres High School building has been maintained by the Ceres Ruritan Club since the elementary school closed in 1992.  It is used for Ruritan activities and many community functions.  The former students and faculty appreciate the efforts of the Ruritan Club in keeping up the building
Ceres High School Letter (CHS)

The former agriculture build has been repaired and made into the Henry C. Groseclose FFA and Agricultural Museum.  Here it is dressed up for Christmas

The Museum and Peery Center gymnasium share the area
across the driveway from the former school

The Peery Center gym is decorated for the annual
Homecoming on the third Saturday in October

Bland County Parks and Recreation Department established a
much used playground and walking trail near the gymnasium

Overall view of the museum, gym and playground area